Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What's Different?


Initially when I thought of Japan I thought of the usual things that anyone might have thought of, the rooms full of tatami mats, sleeping on the floor on a futon, Geisha, temples, and maybe "funny" writing. I never thought of culture shock until after coming here, but it did happen. Living in Japan has been a lifelong dream that has finally come true, and now that I've come and studied their lifestyles, I've found out that I just can't bring myself to leave. Everything that I once thought of Japan feels like it has become a part of who I am -- living in the tatami matted rooms, sleeping on a futon, seeing a Geisha walking down the streets in Kyoto, visiting temples to see their buildings and parks, and being able to understand and read their kanji. Going back to my home country soon is a sad part of the study abroad experience I guess, but I've been fully changed after getting over culture shock.

While having a long past, and many things that are very reminding of its past kimonos, and temples for example, Japan is definitely not as old as it may be known. It's very modern an becoming a world power as its yen is equal to the dollar, and their architecture can resemble the older styles typically it is now in the modern form of sky scrapers. Also even the kimonos are still used it now seems to be overpowered by the pressed suit.

1 comment:

  1. I like your first paragraph here - it is a very nice wrap-up for your blog. I get a little lost with your second paragraph. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experiences through your posts. Take care with the reverse culture shocj when you get home (this is always the most difficult for me).

    ReplyDelete