Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Who wears the Pants in a Family

In Japan is a very masculine oriented society, but it is slowly becoming an equal opportunity society. Most of the families are based on the man working, and the Wife staying at home. This was really impressed on me after I started to hang around my friend's family. The man in this family actually works three jobs, just to support the wife. This is very traditional. Another example that was impressed on me was another family I met. I went to his work as it was a trip of mine during Japan. On this trip we went down a river with a few rapids, but there was three people all steering and pushing the boat. Obviously they were all men. Recently I've come to notice that not only have women started to more often have jobs in Japan, as it is happening in the police force, Osaka being the leader in that department. I also see maybe a bit of role reversal in this society. I've gone out on trips with my family, and I would have thought that the men walk together and then the women carry everything for the men. I was mistaken as I started noticing on our trip, the men seemed to be carrying everything, and with the push of equality the women were still taking care of the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment